Friday, August 27, 2010

Three from Tucumcari

In autumn of 1992 I took a week-long I-40/Route 66 trip from the California Desert to the Texas Panhandle and back.

That was an important trip as far as gathering material for paintings, one I haven't had the luxury of doing since. Lots of pictures and notes taken, videotape was recorded of just local ambience, and no distractions from anyone. There's a lot of meditation and quiet time during a trip like this. It absolutely required being done alone, which at times was just too lonely, but I would be boring anyone I'm with, and they'd be restless. I started on a Saturday, and returned the following Friday morning, cutting my return trip short by a few days.

I would have loved to spend more time out there, but the trip was still a success and kept me in a creative buzz for several years to come. Many paintings came from this trip, and it's a shame that I've not been able to devote this sort of time on any road trip since. A weekend or day trip here or there, always a compromise if others are involved, and always less "fun" when you're on your own. Equally rewarding in its own way, though, but it really requires being comfortable alone for extended times. Then again, this trip was done before we all had cell phones or laptops.

Monday night in Tucumcari resulted in three paintings, and provided an inspiration for a fourth.

Tucumcari features a historic Route 66 landmark,  the Blue Swallow Motel, where I checked in for the night... everything about it was perfect, especially its imperfections.

I had the choice of a ten dollar or thirteen dollar room, so I splurged.



"The Blue Swallow", 1992, 24" x 48", Acrylic on Canvas. This is from a  4 x 5 scan, a huge improvement over previous jpegs of this painting.

http://blueswallowmotel.com/

http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/blue-swallow-motel-put-up-for-sale/

The other scenes are my attempts at capturing nighttime small town scenes.



"Odeon of Tucumcari", 1993, 18" x 36" Acrylic on Canvas. From a 35mm slide scan, so the detail isn't as crisp, but seen for the first time since I sold it.

Those movies weren't really playing there at the time, that's a huge leap there. Doc Hollywood was playing there that night, but having that in the painting..... not so sure about that. Had I the choice to do it over again, I would most likely choose a 70's exploitation movie title, the crappier the better. As far as a selling point, though, I would imagine these movies would find a wider spectrum of buyers.  I just think that "Frogs" or "Race with the Devil" or even a Russ Meyer flick or Dolemite movie name on the marquee would have knocked it out of the park.

I'm digging the deep colors and shadows in the sidelines, and the looser feel in these areas.


"Nighttime in Tucumcari", 1993, 30" x 48", Acrylic on Canvas. From 35mm slide scan.

I loved discovering these kinds of settings, but next time I will put in less glare in the foreground, and a little more business by the distant little pools of light. I'm not entirely happy with the way I used black paint in this one. I've done it in others and it came out alright, but here it's a little flat.

Wow, looking at these make me want to get right back into it, right now. I guess that's a good thing.

4 comments:

Diane T said...

Wow, love the Blue Swallow painting, great colors.

Anonymous said...

Bill, I enjoyed the back story about this set and your trip. Also the paintings are always good. Too bad you don't have any large format photos of those old painting. :>)

BIlly Mallery said...

WOW THESE PAINTINGS ARE INCREDIBLE BILL! Really nice works. Thanks for sharing!

Rem said...

I was trying to zoom in in the motel painting, to see what's on television in the office. What's on television, Bill?...
I love these paintings! Still remind me of Hopper (a good thing), but somehow even darker, more forelorn (a good thing). Paintings that wouldn't bore looking at quickly.