Friday, August 27, 2010

More scans, so-so results

I have another batch of scans to go over, there's a good deal of images never posted before. I'm undecided on the quality of some of the images, not because of the scans (thank you again Stu), but because of the source....35 mm slides, MUCH smaller than 4 x 5's, and the skills of the photographer (me). 

Anywho, here is one that I was somewhat fond of, a scene on a muggy summer day in Manhattan. Somewhere near Time Square, or around 42nd Street. 


The original size of "The Fortune Teller - Study" is a mere 9" x 12", acrylic on canvas. The slide from this scan has a motion blur to it, yet it's the best I have of it...for now. It was one of the first paintings to be produced in my studio/gallery when I first opened it in 1993, and went pretty fast afterward. An attorney I know has it. He said he liked the "Three Questions Free" sign and joked how he should keep the painting on his desk.

I always meant for it to be just a "study" of a larger, more detailed painting, so maybe I'll make good on that threat. 

I love the idea of presenting strange little tableaus of everyday life taking place on storefronts in grungy urban areas, in coffee shops, or whatever cataches my eye, but rarely followed up on it.
It's an area where I need to hone my skills; from the act of seeking out such scenes, gathering the visual information (ie sketches, photos, video) discreetly and unobtrusively, to finishing it in the studio. The idea of setting up an easel in most of these kinds of places can be problematical for any number of reasons, from time-of-day, to impeding traffic, to making the intentionally candid subject nervous, to overall safety.  Regardless, I need to be more adventuresome and brash, too. I also need to work on my human beings. I could pontificate volumes on that, but not now.

1 comment:

WADE8709 said...

Bill
i too love the three questions free sign and would love to see this in a series.
Wade