Thursday, August 19, 2010

Finally, some visible progress!

Sorry for the silence....I've had some very fortunate jobs keeping me busy, and as of today I started my scanning project, thanks to a buddy of mine..... We were able to scan about 40 images from my initial session of 4 x 5 transparencies, but it was an all day project, and we're only half done. 

These scans are made at an ultra-high resolution with the most accurate color and detail yet. They pretty much blow away what I have online now, and I expect as time goes on here, I'll be replacing a lot of the earlier scans out with new ones. The difference is night and day, and perhaps I should post a demonstration of that.  

In the meantime, here is my first processed image from the scans, a painting from 1991 called Winchester Railroad, 24" x 48", acrylic on canvas. It's never been posted anywhere before, until today.



Essentially, the scans are SO accurate, you can zoom right down into the canvas weave in Photoshop. What you are seeing here is a mere fraction of the scan resolution, and the detail and overall feeling are somewhat diminished. Click on the image to get a larger jpeg.

I'll do the math on the ratio of scanned image to final web jpg and post it later....

Of course, what I can also see is every little thing that I would never do again, compromises, mistakes....... But pulling back out, I am generally satisfied with the result....except for the power lines.

Many, MANY more scans to be processed and posted in the coming days, possibly weeks.

I have currently a very detailed image of a futuristic city I am doing digitally, a project I will post at much more length here shortly.

Somewhere amongst all this I need to get some paint on something.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Bill I love this painting. It'd look fantastic hanging in my house! I love the whole night time air to it. Excellent work!!!