Thursday, July 8, 2010

I think I am nearly done.

Happy Summer, everyone....it's been really busy here, and I have not found much time to paint, but tonight I think that I may be pretty much finished. Once I am certain, I'll sign it, and give it a clear gloss acrylic coating followed by a matte Soluvar varnish. The clear acrylic coating protects and seals the painting, and if I recall correctly (don't worry, I'll catch up on this before I do it), it serves as a base for the solvent-based varnish. Thus, years later (or sooner, if the need arises), once it has done its job and accumulated layers of grime, impurities, and detritus, this solvent based varnish can be removed from the painting, stripping it to the gloss acrylic layer and not disturbing the acrylic layers beneath. A new solvent-based varnish can then be applied

I'm still a little unsure of perspective line of weeds on the left side of the road, something looks forced there. A couple other small details may need attention, as well.....I just needed to check in here with my progress, as other things are happening that have required my attention.

Another interesting thing about posting the image here, it allows me to examine it with a slightly different set of eyes... sometimes standing before a painting can skew your perceptions of it... or, you just get into a rut. In the past, I would set the painting aside, start another, and return to this one. Sometimes viewing the work in progress through a mirror also helps to reveal things about an image that requires fixing, correcting, or rethinking.

8 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Its looking really good Bill! I love the depth that adding the power lines in made. And the asphalt is incredible, I could drive my car on that it looks so real!! You do such good work!!!

Diane T said...

I really like the play of light and shadow you've put in there--it's just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Suddenly it all came together! Those ochre patches on the road really do it, though perhaps I'm missing some return of the ochre in the greenery (perhaps a very light, patchy wash?)
Wouldn't worry too much about the weeds, though.
Thanks for the advice on the varnish - something I've never done. Then again, I have a habit of suddenly jumping to an older painting and changing some things.
When I'm painting, I use a mirror to look at it with different eyes - composition (colour / light+dark) can be checked by putting the painting upside down.
And I use Ang's eyes.

WmTodd said...

Those ochre (umber, actually) patches are one thing that stands out in this photo that blends in more subtly in real life. Either way, I need to address it. I am alternating umber and blue glazes to build up darks in the road, and trying my best to stay away from black or even "Payne's Gray".

Frmph.... sometimes I need to step away from the painting altogether and regroup, but this one is nearly done.

Anonymous said...

It may better to underpaint it than overpaint it.. I like the umber. On close look, I also see it return underneath the shrubbery at the right, and I'd think that if you bring a little bit in the bush on the left it'd even out...
But that's me... I 'm unable to paint neatly, and landscapes come out like this: http://custardsurgery.com/remart/beeld/adambig.jpg
So what do I know. ;-)
I see that you changed one of the smaller hills in the background into a cluster of trees. That's the sort of detail that makes it interesting.
This one is nearly done indeed! :-)

WADE8709 said...

Bill
I am so pleased that you are returning to your art. I especially love your mid century desert oasis scenes! Than i was always a sucker for a pink trailer house!
Wade

Fuloydo said...

Ok Bill. I'm waiting for an update.

You can't just ignore your blog for weeks at at time like this.


It's Just. Not. Done

(Ok, yes it is, by lots of people. But you're not "lots of people". You're you.)

Is the painting done yet? I love what you have so far.

Cheers!

WmTodd said...

Fuloydo, thank you for helping to keep me in check here..... Lots of things going on, not much painting, let me make a new entry....